Thursday, February 10, 2011

The World is Actually Getting Safer

The Amateur Thinker has post about the world getting better despite all the forthcoming-apocolypse hyperbole. I tend to fall into the camp that things are getting worse more so than better, but perhaps I'm just eating what is being spoon-fed to me by a sensationalist media? I'd be interested to really peel back the statistics and see how everything is thought through, but not so interested to actually do it. There are ample footnotes for anyone who might be intrigued.

My biggest red flag is that he mentions Stalinist Russia and WWII. I'm not concerned with large-scale events so much as the day-to-day life. If that is truly being included in the calculations, then I think we have an entirely different story. Abortion rates and teenage pregnancy decreasing are certainly good news though.

Read the full article here (via Ritholtz)

No comments:

Post a Comment